Posts Tagged ‘nashville’


March 21, 2009

Remember the old carnival game – Whack-a-Mole.  You would hold a mallet of some kind in your hand and when the little mole popped up, you’d whack him on the head.  However, as soon as you whacked one, another one would pop up someplace else. 

This week Joanne and I want to the annual Lawn and Garden Show here in Nashville.  We always love getting new ideas for our yard. This year we talked to several companies about building a water feature right in front of our house.  The entire show was bursting with activity.  It appears that while people are traveling less they are now more interested in improving their homes as the place for physical and spiritual restoration. 

And so it goes.  I see the same phenomenon in business that we see in Whack-a-Mole.  When one business lags, another explodes.  If your business is suffering, what is the counterpart that is thriving?  Can you benefit from that?  If appliances aren’t selling, then you can be sure appliance repair is up.  If new car sales are in the tank, used cars are thriving. 

In Think and Grow Rich Napoleon Hill said, “Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache carries with it the Seed of an equivalent or a greater Benefit.”

Have you found the greater benefit flip side of your current adversity? 

Incidentally, I won 7 Teddy Bears one time in a 30-minute stand at the Whack-a-Mole booth at Opryland years ago. My eye-hand coordination served me well.  And I believe that moles do pop up like that – but so do great opportunities for all of us in business.

50,000 are Jobless in Nashville

February 4, 2009

This was the recent headline in the Nashville Tennessean newspaper.  Oh no, the sky is falling.  Actually, that number puts Nashville solidly at 6.2% unemployment. So let’s see, that means that we have 93.8% of the people fully employed and going to work every day, or roughly 760,000 who still have jobs.  Experts consider 5% unemployment “full employment” as there are always that many people transitioning or taking a break.  So really we are up 1.2% or about 9700 more people looking for work than normal out of the 810,000 workers in this area.  So why don’t the headlines scream that Nashville has 760,000 people who are getting regular paychecks each week?  Because good news doesn’t sell newspapers.

Be careful how you receive the “news” being offered right now.  You could get the impression that no one is hiring, all banks are failing, everyone is losing their home, and every small business is on the brink of disaster. 

Incidentally we have a 99% chance of sunshine tomorrow and a   1% CHANCE OF HAIL, TORNADO, EARTHQUAKE, AND LOCUST ATTACK!