Each week I create a new online radio podcast — answering a few of the many questions we receive. Here are some of this week’s questions you can hear discussed on the 48 Days Radio Show.1. What is the best resource for a stay at home mom who has home schooled children for the past 28 years to determine direction for a career after an unwanted divorce? I have no formal education past high school.
2. I’ve been looking for a new job for 3 months now and trying to slowly read your book “48 Days…” but I realize what I love to do is sing and play guitar and write songs and poetry. How can I make a career out of a vocation?
3. I’ve recently been given an assignment by a mentor to develop my own “Theology of Work” (i.e. God’s purpose for having us work). He recommended I read Dorothy Sayers essay entitled “Why Work” and “The Call” by Os Guinness. 1. Would you recommend these materials? 2. What do you believe God’s purpose for human work is?
4. I’m in a job I hate, with a 40-mile one-way commute. I want to get a better job, but I need a degree (which I can’t afford because I’m in so much debt). How can I get a better job when I need the education that I can’t afford without the better job?
5. I am a graphic designer. I have two questions. The first is, as a graphic designer should I send samples of my work with the resume or wait until an interview? The second is, should I use a functional resume instead of a chronological one since I graduated April 2007 and don’t have much experience?
6. I am a 37 year old pharmacist and co-owner of an independent pharmacy. I make a comfortable living, but dislike my job due to insurance and the hectic pace. I have been in and around pharmacy my entire life, and feel trapped in my current situation. Any suggestions?